Doctorate and habilitation

Doctorate and habilitation


The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering is the faculty of Leibniz University Hannover with the highest third party funding. The innovative research projects of the individual institutes offer university graduates, after successfully completing their studies, the opportunity to work as research assistants in a wide range of research areas. The intensive scientific work is finally documented in the doctoral thesis.

Disputations via video conference

Due to the current situation, disputes will take place on the announced dates via video conference. If you would like to participate as a listener, please contact the corresponding institute secretariat for access data.


  • Promotional material

    The documents are only available in German. Please visit the German page.

  • Dates

    The documents are only available in German. Please visit the German page.

  • Questions and further support
    • Do you have any questions about doctoral topics or about taking over a doctoral supervision? Then please contact the professors of the respective institutes directly.
    • If you have any questions regarding the administrative procedure, please contact the office of the Dean's Office.
    • Information on the submission of dissertations and habilitations can be found on the pages of the Technical Information Library.
    • You can also get support with your doctoral project at the Graduate Academy of Leibniz University Hannover!


The final step in an academic career is the habilitation, which, through extensive independent research work, ultimately leads to the attainment of the teaching license (Venia Legendi).

  • Notes on the habilitation procedure
    • Notifications of habilitation procedures, such as approvals, openings, etc., are published in the minutes of the meetings of the Faculty Council of Mechanical Engineering.
    • The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering also invites the habilitation candidate in writing to a public lecture and subsequent colloquium.
    • Notifications in matters concerning habilitation procedures must always be addressed in writing to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
    • When applying for the certificate of good conduct, a "certificate of good conduct for submission to an authority" must be applied for. Habilitation" is to be indicated as the purpose.
    • Certificates of good conduct must not be older than one year on the day of the opening of the habilitation procedure.
    • The University Library (TIB / UB, Special Collections, Notes on the Submission of Dissertations and Habilitation Theses) is responsible for the publication of habilitation theses.
  • Documents

    The documents are only available in German. Please visit the German page.

Office hours

Office hours are only possible by appointment. Please contact the contact person listed below.


Maren Völker
An der Universität 1
30823 Garbsen
An der Universität 1
30823 Garbsen